Thursday, June 25, 2009

Little Smiles

I was sitting around this evening, listening to the summer thunder storm outside and it made me smile. I started thinking about the hustle and bustle of daily life and how stressful it can seem..and then such a simple thing as a rain storm can bring a genuine smile to my face and ease the tension. There are so many little things in this world that do that for me.

I decided to just snap a few shots of some of my favorite things around the house that always make me feel happy. It's a way of letting me show my readers some of those things that are an extension of who I am.

First, and foremost is Mr. Pat Cohen, an amazing tattoo artist and fisherman, crazy person, goofball, and love of my life. He brings chivalry back with style.



Secondly, is Mr. Calvin. He's the naughty one of the bunch. He's discovered that negative attention is still attention. My Squeaker kittie that passed away recently was Calvin's brother, so I'm glad I still have him with me.



And then there's Mr. Lynus, my little pansy fluff ball. If you look up momma's boy in the dictionary there will be a picture of him clinging to me. My kittie kids have gotten me through some of the toughest periods in my life and I don't know what I would have done without them.



This is my favorite corner of the apartment. It has some of my most precious treasures. Most of it would be junk to others, such as my collection of dead bumblebees that I find, but to me these are things that make me grin in their beauty and their silliness.






The little black and white photo on the top shelf is my favorite one of me and my mother. It was taken in 1980 when we lived in Florida. I'd kill to have her dress to wear now. The glass apothecary jar has one of my terrariums I made with some of my bumblebees. (none were killed by me btw...I just happen to find dead ones a lot for some reason)



One of my favorite little bicycles that I own and a few random old books. The Voltaire book belonged to my grandfather. It's one of the only things I have that belonged to him other than several old timey country vinyl albums.



I love flowers...even if they're fake...the girls at work gave me these with the cat mug and stuffed kittie as a present for stopping by on my day off to help them out when they were slammed. You can't see it in the photo but there's a little antique mouse brooch...he lives on the little blue sofa.



That's another favorite bicycle of mine. My old copies of Treasure Island and The Secret Garden. The other is a book of childrens' folk tales that I've had since I was a baby. The owl I made from an old tweed coat I got for a dollar.



This is my favorite picture of my mom when she was little. That's her Cry Eye Clown and she has no idea what ever happened to it.



My favorite original painting that my dear friend Douglas gave to me. We're both coconut cream pie connoisseurs and 2 sad little misfit robots.



My beloved hot air balloon I bought on a trip to Mystic CT.



I got this beautiful glass piece at a yard sale for a dollar. The tea cup is my favorite one. It's so pretty, but it got a crack in the bottom, so I planted a little cactus in it so I could still keep it.





Two of my favorite dishes in one night. Spicy African Peanut Soup and fried eggplant. Pat makes them both amazing!



Last year's set of baby triplets. We have a new set this year...triplets again but I haven't been able to get a photo yet. They make me laugh when they frolic out back under the apple trees...never mind we live right in town :P



That's all I have for the moment. I keep thinking of things I could add...which makes me happy because they're things I wasn't even thinking of before I started writing this entry. It just shows that even when you're feeling blue and having a tough go of it, there are always little things you can think of to cheer yourself up.

Or just go to Wal-mart and laugh at all the mullets...I do that too.

No comments: