Monday, November 15, 2010

Score!

Just wanted to share my latest score from the used book store here in town. I'm always searching for anything to do with the circus or natural history..and lookie here...I found both!



Mark Catesby's watercolors are simply beautiful. These are from a collection at the Royal library at Windsor Castle. What I wouldn't give for a day to rummage those shelves.





The Golden Age of the Circus is chock full of classic advertising posters as well as an overlay of the history of the circus. It's not quite as good as The Circus Book: 1870-1950s by Dominique Jando, but still a pleasure to read.






Lastly is Circus Day at Merryvale by Alice Hale Burnett. It's one of six stories starring the Merryvale boys from the early 1900's (this one in particular copyrighted 1916. It obviously captured my heart with its story centering around the carnival). The real gem is the darling little illustrations throughout the book.





Fingers crossed that my next visit to the book store will be as worthwhile!!

No comments: